FC3: kernel panic on first boot

Robin Bowes robin-gmane at robinbowes.com
Thu Dec 2 17:41:22 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Do, den 02.12.2004 schrieb Robin Bowes um 15:50:
>>
>>However, there is a modprobe.conf.dist file which has 165 lines. Should
>>I copy this to modprobe.conf?
>>
>>R.
>

> No, please don't copy the modprobe.conf.dist file content over to the
> modprobe.conf. That file should only contain module instructions for the
> hardware you really have.
>
> What certainly is missing is the alias entry for your ethernet card. Or
> don't you have one in that host? If you have audio there should be
> entries for that too.

Yes, I have an ethernet card. No audio though (at least I've never
configured it) - it's a server.

There is a file modprobe.conf.anacbak in /etc/ which contains:

alias scsi_hostadapter sata_promise
alias eth0 natsemi

I've copied this to modprobe.conf.

If what Fred says is correct then this won't fix my problem. I need a
kernel with the ext3 filesystem built in.

Thanks,

R.