FC3 SMP builds do NOT contain ext3 drivers in the build!!!!

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Thu Dec 2 19:02:03 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 12:12:14PM -0500, Fred Skrotzki wrote:
> I've even run up2date and using the latest 2.6.9-1.681_FC3 it still panics when booting.  Thanks to the lack of ext3 drivers being built in.

For the record, you don't need ext3 to boot.  You can mount an ext3 file
system as ext2 without any problem at all - you just won't get the
journalling.  In fact, I believe that RHEL actually might do this today
- mount in ext2 first and then later on re-mount as ext3.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org