Problems remotely changing IP address of second NIC

Rodolfo Alcázar rodolfo.alcazar at padep.org.bo
Thu Dec 2 20:00:34 UTC 2004

Just some questions, on which you could work...

El jue, 02-12-2004 a las 14:35 -0500, Seth Art escribió:
> This is what i do:
>
> 1) I SSH into to the LAN CARD, become root.

Your iptable rules are fine by this time. Not enough info from your
post. Are there any rules you set manually or services started the same
way?

> 2) I then use system-config-network-gui though the ssh connection to
> get a nice gui from the remote machine.

Expect u r using the right command. Or maybe you should try changing
manually /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX (X is the card's
number)

> 3) There is no DHCP server on the DMZ so i give it a static address on
> the same subnet, set subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and default gateway
> to the correct default gateway.

Probably this is the error. I cant understand you well, but if it is the
case, you must not use two cards on the same subnet. Try another
approach from the same LAN card.

> 4) I then apply changes and activate the card.

try using ifup ethX

> At this point it kicks me out.  It makes sense on some level that it
> would kick me out because   the applet is restarting the network
> service.

Not necessarily. If you are restarting the service, iptables could be
restarting also. Check logs, please.

> My problem however is that i can no longer get  back onto
> my machine.  on either card!!!

That makes me think you are using both cards on the same subnet... Can
you explain?

> I also know why i wouldn't be able to
> get into the DMZ card since I'm not on the DMZ, but why does my LAN
> card stop accepting ping or anything else.
>
> Is there something i am doing wrong?   Is there a better more
> effective way accomplish what i am doing?

Please be more specific on above subjects.

> P.S   I know the temp static IP, default gateway and subnet mask that
> i am giving the card  are fine because the same numbers work on a
> windows machine.

That is not a good parameter, I think...

--
Rodolfo Alcázar (rodolfo.alcazar at padep.org.bo)
Administrador datos y red - Padep/GTZ