FC3: Problem loading aic79xx SCSI driver

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov
Thu Dec 2 21:19:21 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 20:59 -0800, Jason Vinton wrote:
> I'm been trying very unsuccessfully to load FC3 on a brand new Dell
> Precision Workstation 370n.  It seems to come with a Adaptec 39320
> SCSI Card.  During installation, everything works well right up till
> after the media check.  Then the screen shows a bunch of:
> "SELinux: initialized (dev ..."
> messages and a box that reads:
> This box never goes away.  I read on another list something about
> disabling HostRaid in the SCSI Bios as a possible solution.  I looked
> around in the SCSI Bios and what I found didn't match the
> documentation from adaptec
> (http://download.adaptec.com/pdfs/user_guides/ULTRA320_UG_EN.PDF).
> I've deleted all the arrays, but it doesn't seem to have helped.
>
> Can anyone help?

Turned up your message looking for solutions to my problem.  Don't know
how much help this may be, symptoms seem to be different, but just got a
system repaired under warranty by the vendor.  The original Tyan Thunder
K7 MB with integrated Adaptec SCSI was not available so they replaced it
with a Tyan K7x Pro 2469GN and an Adaptec 39320A-R card.  When I
couldn't install FC2 or FC3 (FC2 wouldn't load the module, FC3 loaded it
manually when forced but didn't see any drives) contacted the tech who
installed the board.  Here's the advice I got:

> Yes, it was tested with the existing disk in the system. You may have
> to compile the driver from scratch - the source code is available from
> Adaptec.
>
> http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=%2FProduct%2FASC-39320A-R&prodkey=Adaptec+SCSI+Card+39320A-R

or http://tinyurl.com/57zh7

Currently installing on an IDE drive so I can try the above.  Meanwhile
still searching - haven't hit Bugzilla or Google very hard yet.   Will
follow up if I achieve enlightenment.

Phil