Shutdown in one step?

Andrew Choens achoens at frontiernet.net
Thu Dec 2 23:45:28 UTC 2004

Since I don't know which desktop you've got, I wrote a couple of
different answers.  The simple answer is yes.  There are several
graphical answers to "shutdown -h now".  IFF you use the right
combination of display manager (log-in manager, KDM, GDM) and Desktop
(KDE, Gnome, XFCE)

KDE Answer
Fedora uses GDM as the default Display Manager.  KDE has traditionally
not interfaced with this; and when logging out, does not offer restart
or shutdown as options.  This MAY change in the future since KDE3.4 is
supposedly going to offer support for GDM themes, maybe we'll see more
integration.  This would be terrific.  If you use KDE as your desktop
and you want a direct shutdown option, use KDM as your display manager.

Gnome Answer
If you are still using GDM and don't have this option when logging out,
something is wrong.  I don't have any idea where to start looking.  If
you start using KDM as your display manager, Gnome will no longer offer
you the option of shutting down.  Again, integration would be really
nice.

XFCE
XFCE 4.2 does well with GDM.  It gives me the option of shutting down,
but the rpms in FC2 and FC3 won't.  (At least, I think that's right, if
I'm wrong, someone correct me.)

I don't know much about the other window manager options out there.

--andy