Would you tell me what would it happened if the system is running ext2 or ext3 ? Which one is easy to fix excepted restore :)

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Fri Dec 3 01:01:08 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 18:17, Wong Kwok-hon wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Since the system default is running ext3 the journal file system in
> FC2 and now are still using in FC3. Is it a safety file system ?
>
> Becuase I saw the books didn't stated the different and what would it
> happen if the system crash in ext2 or ext3 ?

    I remember reading the release notes, I believe from FC2; it
mentioned that if the system lost power, there was only a *tiny* chance
something could be written wrong to the filesystem, whereas if the thing
were warm, and merely reset, no chance.

    Does this help?

    ext3 is also [a little more] compatible with the new LVM (which
you're gonna love).  As to the safety of the choices?  I'd say they both
are quite safe.  Lord knows I've had enough power brownouts here to give
it the chance!

Brian Fahrländer                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller