Ditching FC3... for now =(

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Dec 3 01:13:39 UTC 2004

On Friday 03 December 2004 08:51, Sean wrote:
> On Thu, December 2, 2004 3:49 pm, John Summerfield said:
> > On Friday 03 December 2004 00:31, Randy McDonald wrote:
> >

> > Don't get anything with an Intel i810 or i815 chipset; I have several
> > (all ombord graphics) and none of them works well at present with any
> > Linux
>
> Hey John,
>
> There is support for these chipsets and any problems should be reported.
> Did you make a bugzilla entry?  You might find some useful hints at:

There's a considerable number of them at bugzilla.redhat.com to do with xorg
and the only resolutions i've seen are "this" duplicates "that" and a "try
this."

> http://i810fb.sourceforge.net/howto/index.html
>
> In cases where it doesn't "just work" there are some kernel/module
> settings that can be made.

That is good news for those who must use them. I'm not so concerned about
kernel framebuffer support - it's nice to have wide screens and such, but my
first attempt to install Nahant was an abject failure. I then went to the
evectra and luckily chose a different screen resolution.

My screens do 1600x1200 but whenever I try to do that, it either refuses
(Ubuntu) or offsets the screen image. Some resolutions work, but higher
resolutions that do work flicker dreadfully.

Then RAM is a problem. The evectra (one slot) supports 256. The others support
no more than 512.  And at least two of them don't like some of the RAM I
have, so the evectra's running on 128. The Gateway declined a second 256 so
it's running on 256.

My main workstation is an Athlon and everything works well; I get to the other
boxes using the Athlon as an x-terminal.

--

Cheers
John Summerfield