update emails & files out of sync?

Martin msembx-redhat at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 3 02:45:30 UTC 2004

I guess there are two schools of thought on this.

If you automatically update without seeing why (ie
reading the email), you run the small risk of breaking
something.  Kernel updates, particularly.

On the other hand, if you wait to read what it is that
you're updating, you risk being exposed to some
network evil.

All in all, I'd rather see the announcements coming
out as soon as the update files are in the pipeline,
with the explanation that the updates will be showing
up on your favorite mirror RSN. Sitting on the info is
playing Big Brother.  It is going to cause problems
somewhere sometime.

-Martin

--- John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>