Shutdown in one step?

Chris Tepaske chris at lincom.net.au
Fri Dec 3 06:14:27 UTC 2004

Thanks

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Gustavo Seabra [mailto:seabra at ksu.edu]
Sent: Friday, 3 December 2004 4:39 PM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: Shutdown in one step?

Andrew Choens wrote:

>>Actually, I'm using KDE now and, when I click logout it gives me the
>>choices to:
>>1) Logout
>>2) Turn off computer
>>3) Restart computer
>>4) Cancel.
>>

>Well that's really cool.  I'm so glad to see that KDE and Gnome are
>starting to get the integration game going more than I thought.  As this
>continues I think we will start to see many things improve in terms of
>consistency.  Both projects have good ideas.

Actually, as I recall now the steps I took, it's just not as simple: KDE
doesn't seem to be high priority for the Fedora developers, so they
don't have the KDE updated by default. I had to update my KDE from the
kde-redhat.org repos:
kde-stable.repo file in /etc/yum.repos.d/ :
[kde-fedora-stable]
name=kde-redhat.org (fedora)
baseurl=ftp://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/fedora/$releasever/stable

Then, even though up2date said my system was up-to-date (by default it
only checks the "official" repos), `yum update`  found tons of KDE
updates. One of them probably gave me this logout options. (The logout
menu also changed, and now has an image of Konki, the dragon :-)

I hope that helps.

Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student
Chemistry Department
Kansas State University