Ditching FC3... for now =(

Scott angrykeyboarder at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 05:28:42 UTC 2004

John Summerfield wrote:

>On Thursday 02 December 2004 11:20, Lotsa Cabo wrote:
>

>>My goal...
>>To successful install and use FC3 in a virtual machine hosted by WinXP for
>>however long it takes me to find, install, understand, and otherwise
>>replace by existing M$-based apps with Linux versions.  Then, once I have
>>everything ready to roll on Linux, and have no NEED for the Windows apps
>>blow away the box and install it as a FC3-only machine.
>>

>Start again. Install FC, VMware, XP.
>or try Ubuntu. It's debian-derived, almost as friendly as OS X. Base system
>installs from a single CD. There is a second, a live demo.

Funny you mention that.  I just got the Ubuntu CD in the mail the other
day.  I played with the Live CD.  I wasn't particularly overwhelmed.
Ubuntu's GNOME 2.8 isn't any "better" than FC3's (unless I'm missing
something).

I do like the large archive they have though and I'd probably be playing
with Ubuntu right now (dual booting) if I had the HD space...  As it is
Debian based, I'd like to try it for that reason alone that and the fact
that is has a cool name. ;-)