AMD SMP Hangups (FC 2 and 3)

Tom Browder tbrowder at cox.net
Fri Dec 3 11:44:15 UTC 2004

Ever since FC 2 I have had my AMD Dual XP 2000 hanging at random times,
sometimes immediately after boot and sometimes after as much as a day later.
I have just installed the lastest kernel, and I have used the following boot
options as suggested by Alan Cox in the unofficial Fedora FAQ:

  apm=off acpi=off noapic nohlt

I have a Gigabit motherboard with the lastest bios.

The few references I've been able to find about similar problems suggests
hardware problems.  My hardware is the same as three machines at work, all
running FC 2.  Two of them are having the same problems.  All machines have
worked fine with the SMP kernels in Redhat 8 through FC 1.

I have tried running the single CPU kernel as of last night and, so far,
I've experienced no hangup.

Does anyone else have the same problems?

Has anyone a clue about a fix?

Thanks.

Tom Browder