FC2 problem with CDROM mount/unmount

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 3 16:25:17 UTC 2004

Rick Moseley <rmoseley at redhat.com> said about CDROM mount/unmount:

>I have a friend with the following problem on a FC2 Compaq system with
>his CDROM mounting/unmounting.  Here is his description:

>One more thing - I got a quick Fedora question.  We are having trouble with
>mounting and unmounting CDROM's on a <derogatory remark about
>Compaq removed> PC.  Sometimes the CD won't
>eject.  And no process is using the filesystem.  And then when it finally
>does eject, and a new CD is inserted, it shows the files from the previous
>CD.

Try umount -l /dev/cdrom.  This will "soft" unmount the CD.  Then try 'eject /dev/cdrom'  This should eject the disk.  However, I will make a note of caution.  If the drive is in use by any program, such as cron.daily, you can break the program and possibly leave opened files on the system which may/may not require a hard restart.

I would look further into what processes are running when the drive is not ejecting the disk.  It is possible that a process is accessing the disk when you were not expecting it.

James McKenzie
A Proud User of Linux!