Corrupted Drive

Paul Tomblin ptomblin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 23:14:15 UTC 2004

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 14:48:40 -0500, Henry Hartley
<henryhartley at westat.com> wrote:

> Is there something I should be doing to prevent this sort of thing?  On a

Are you running a journalled file system?  Are you backing up?

I'm not sure I agree with the suggestion about RAID.  If the drives
are failing because of age  then when one fails, you're going to have
to replace them all.  But frankly, I don't believe that they're dying
of age - I've had drives last for over 3 years with 24 hour a day
usage with only one or two reboots.

I'm also curious as to why things would be corrupt in /usr//sbin -
nothing should be being written there except when you're installing
software, so it's unlikely to have unflushed buffers.  But perhaps you
just have one big partition?  I like to use lots of partitions
(separate partitions for /, /var, /usr, /tmp, /home at least) so that
what goes on in one partition isn't as likely to affect the others.

--
 "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we
are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and