Corrupted Drive

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Dec 4 13:57:36 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 18:38 -0500, Paul Tomblin wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 18:30:26 -0500, Harry Hoffman
> <hhoffman at ip-solutions.net> wrote:
> > hmm, what arrays are you using? It seems "more than common" with both
> > Sun arrays and LSI (or IBM re-badged) arrays.
> >
> > Anyone else have experiences, good or bad?
>
> Our company is having a horrific failure rate on the RAIDs in our
> Dells.  Our service guys say that in the 6 months we've had them at
> the customer sites, we've had to replace nearly 30% of them.

If you are having that high a failure rate on drives that are only 6
months old, you should get your vendor to replace the drives with a
different model.  Look for a model that has a record of long life, not
just the one that is the "latest thing".

I work for a computer hardware company and sometimes the newest model is
not always the most reliable.