2 subjects

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Sat Dec 4 15:52:03 UTC 2004

On December 4, 2004 7:51 am, Nathan Low wrote:
> Could you tell me the website to go in order to
> install the media player, xine.  Does this media
> player play dvds?

I *strongly* urge you to set up yum. It is a program that will allow you to
install most software for fedora core by simply typing "yum install <program
name>".

The setup of yum can be a bit time-consuming and require some faith but it is
worth it.

Yum uses the RPM system to keep track of what is installed on your system and
what programs rely on what other program. Yum itself will remotely visit
repositories on the Internet to find the latest version of RPMs for whichever
program you're looking for.

Every program in the world won't be on these repositories, but it's probably
fair to say most will. xine is.

And yes, xine plays DVDs.

> Please tell me step by step to install this software.

Instructions for installation of yum can be found at the
http://www.fedorafaq.org/ web site. Choose which version of fedora core you
are running from the links at the top of the page.

After you install yum, "step by step" instructions for installatin of xine (or
any other software on the repositories is:

yum install xine <press Enter>

That's how simple it usually is. Seriously.

One more note, this list is often a great source of information (like this)
but a quick search of google will often find the same information for you
even more quickly. Something like "install xine fedora" or whatever might
have gotten you a quick hit.

Trevor Smith // trevor at haligonian.com