Before I install Fedora Core 3...

Michael Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Dec 5 08:01:00 UTC 2004

On Saturday, December 04, 2004, at 01:54PM, Robert Johnson <rwj04 at comcast.net> wrote:

>... Would *you* install it if you had to do it over again?  Or would you
>stay with Fedora Core 2?  Or another distro entirely?
>
>I ask this because I cant believe all the troubles so many people are
>having.  Is there something wrong with Core 3?
>
>Thanks,

I haven't seen more trouble than with any other release.
I have experienced nothing myself. Well, one install I did - first boot never ran, and every boot after resulted in XServer trying to start partway down (I don't use rhgb) and I'd see a "failed" message on the screen, followed by X11 starting perfectly for GDM.

About a week later, during one of the boots, the first boot setup thing ran - that usually runs after a clean install. The failed attempt at starting X11 never appeared again after that.

That's an interesting case - because I've done several other installs on a test partition of the SAME hardware and had everything work perfectly.

I'm happy with fc3. Only thing I don't like is that the ide cd burning isn't (imho) as good as with the ide-scsi module from 2.4 kernel days - in that it won't let me md5sum /dev/cdrom without an I/O error occuring :(

But I can boot with hdc=ide-scsi and do just that :)