Mr. Day

Rahul Sundaram rahulsundaram at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 10:07:54 UTC 2004

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 04:44:09 -0500 (EST), Robert P. J. Day
<rpjday at mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Dec 2004, Timothy Payne wrote:

> > > a couple of observations:
> > >
> > > 1) it's "/usr/local/lib".  you won't be taken particularly seriously
> > > if you can't spell the names of standard system directories.
> > >
> > > 2) you really should put in considerably more time reading an intro
> > > book on linux before you start asking questions here.  if you don't
> > > even understand the concept of the root account and superuser
> > > privileges, frankly, i don't think you're ready for linux yet.
> > >
> > > rday
> > >

> > "frankly, i don't think you're ready for linux yet"
> >
> > And who put Mr. Day in charge?
>
> um ... no one.  it's a community here, remember?  (and you know you've
> hit the big time when people actually use your name in the subject
> line. :-)

sure. you hit it big time but not necessarily in a good way. You were
being unnecessarily rude to someone new to Linux and looking for help.
You could have just told him politely to read a good introduction
book.

There is LDP guides(tldp.org) which could prove yourself. what was bad
was not your suggestion but the way you choose to express it.

Remember that neither mailing list rules nor getting started
documentation is there in fedora.redhat.com/docs which is severely
lacking in people who are interested to write documentation and
prevent the mailing list noise.

I find it strange that people who attack redhat for not opening up to
the community quitely ignore areas where you can actually make a
change, if you guys really want to participate join the documentation
project and help write docs for getting newbies up to speed.

Being rude wont help

--
Regards,
Rahul Sundaram