Ditching FC3... for now =(

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Dec 5 12:06:15 UTC 2004

On Friday 03 December 2004 13:28, Scott wrote:
> Funny you mention that.  I just got the Ubuntu CD in the mail the other
> day.  I played with the Live CD.  I wasn't particularly overwhelmed.
> Ubuntu's GNOME 2.8 isn't any "better" than FC3's (unless I'm missing
> something).

Gnome 2.8 is pretty much Gnome 2.8. I think U was first out with it (by a
smidgin), and the configurution utils want _your_ password (sudo-based) no
root's.

> I do like the large archive they have though and I'd probably be playing
> with Ubuntu right now (dual booting) if I had the HD space...  As it is
> Debian based, I'd like to try it for that reason alone that and the fact
> that is has a cool name. ;-)

For sure Ubuntu's a good way to learn about Debian, but it's not Debian. I'd
_never_ recommend Debian to anyone who doesn't already have a solid grounding
in Linux _and_ a technical bent.

--

Cheers
John Summerfield