an update to "A long, strange FC3 problem"

Summer Brooks brooksj at wildhorse.com
Sun Dec 5 20:05:57 UTC 2004

> Hi,
> I had a problem somewhat similar, I was unable to boot correctly and did
> not have the correct video card and monitor setup after an upgrade from
> fc2 => fc3.
>
> The solution was as follows;  when the boot stopped I was able to
> continue it by pressing "ctrl-C".  The system would then boot in write
> protected mood and I would get a consol/command prompt.  I got some good
> help here to find the correct commands and an editor to open and edit my
> xorg.conf.  Under the video section the video driver was configured with
> a wrong name, or actually I think the driver name was entered twice.  So
> I corrected it manuall and rebooted and everything was fine.
>
> Could it be that you are hit by the same problem?

No, I don't think this is the same problem... the autodetect pegged
my monitor and video card perfectly for the FC3 install, and it
still locked up on me a couple times a day for over a week (that
was one of the first things I'd checked when this started happening).

This latest incident was a surprise, and to my knowledge there isn't
any way for me to change what video settings the FC2 install process
is using from the CD (even though the autodetect seemed to have
correctly pegged my hardware).

I hadn't tried the FC2 text install, because if it locks up during
the graphical install, I'm probably going to experience the same pain
after the install.

And I haven't found the RH9 cd's, so I'm going to have to burn new
ones at work tomorrow.

Summer