an update to "A long, strange FC3 problem"

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 20:18:50 UTC 2004

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 13:05:57 -0700 (MST), Summer Brooks
<brooksj at wildhorse.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I had a problem somewhat similar, I was unable to boot correctly and did
> > not have the correct video card and monitor setup after an upgrade from
> > fc2 => fc3.
> >
> > The solution was as follows;  when the boot stopped I was able to
> > continue it by pressing "ctrl-C".  The system would then boot in write
> > protected mood and I would get a consol/command prompt.  I got some good
> > help here to find the correct commands and an editor to open and edit my
> > xorg.conf.  Under the video section the video driver was configured with
> > a wrong name, or actually I think the driver name was entered twice.  So
> > I corrected it manuall and rebooted and everything was fine.
> >
> > Could it be that you are hit by the same problem?
>
> No, I don't think this is the same problem... the autodetect pegged
> my monitor and video card perfectly for the FC3 install, and it
> still locked up on me a couple times a day for over a week (that
> was one of the first things I'd checked when this started happening).
>
> This latest incident was a surprise, and to my knowledge there isn't
> any way for me to change what video settings the FC2 install process
> is using from the CD (even though the autodetect seemed to have
> correctly pegged my hardware).
>
> I hadn't tried the FC2 text install, because if it locks up during
> the graphical install, I'm probably going to experience the same pain
> after the install.
>
> And I haven't found the RH9 cd's, so I'm going to have to burn new
> ones at work tomorrow.
>

> Summer

Hi Summer,
I have a desktop with a GeForce 4 MX 440 that works just fine with a
CRT monitor (FC3) and a laptop with a 440 Go that also works great
with the built-in LCD (FC2).  What drivers are you using?  It sounds
like maybe you are still using the nv driver that comes with Fedora
Core.  I'd suggest trying to install the binary drivers from nVidia.
Also, you might try booting without the "rhgb" option on the command
line and boot to run level 3 and seeing if you have any problems with
that.  You can also look at /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see if there might
be something mis-configured there.
Jonathan