Losing Network During File Transfer in FC3

Don Hey don at planetkrash.com
Mon Dec 6 01:05:34 UTC 2004

Folks:

(I didn't find anything in the archives; please excuse me if I missed it.)

Yesterday I upgraded my old laptop from FC 2 Test 3 to FC 3. When I
tried to restore the data I had backed up to my desktop, the file
transfer stalled and the laptop lost connectivity.

The problem occurs when using scp to move large tar balls (200MB or so)
or big directories and has also occurred during an http download from
the web. It is easy to reproduce.

After the transfer stalls, it never resumes and I can't ping anything
from the laptop until I reboot.

Other Notes:

- 800 MHz IBM Thinkpad 600X.
- Xircom RealPort RE100 PCMCIA 10/100 Ethernet card.
- /sbin/ifconfig indicates that eth0 is configured.
- /sbin/ifup eth0 doesn't restore the connection.
- no firewalls or routers between source and destination.
- occurs less frequently across a 10/100 switch then across a 10Mb hub.
- no obvious complaints in /var/log/messages or /var/log/secure
- occurs regardless of where the transfer is initiated from (source or
destination).
- issue was never observed under FC 2.

Any suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated!

Don Hey