Lost all network connectivity after clean FC3 install

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Mon Dec 6 01:25:14 UTC 2004

Salvatore Indiogine wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I had a decently working FC1 install on my PC. I have
> 2 network cards on my PC (eth0 and eth1).
>
> eth0 is connected to a Motorola SB5100 cable modem.
> The card is detected as D-Link RTL81.  The driver
> loaded is: 8139too
>
> eth0 is configured as DHCP with automatic obtain DNS
> info from provider.
>
> eth1 is connected to another FC1 PC with a crossover
> cable.  It is configured as 10.0.0.1 with mask
> 255.0.0.0 and gateway 10.0.0.1
>
> When FC1 was installed it all worked perfectly:
> internet and LAN, iptables masquerading and forwading.
>
> After the clean FC3 install nothing works anymore:
>
> eth0 failes to come up.
>
> eth1 comes up but any ping or ssh gives a network
> unreacheable response.
>
> I do not have SELinux installed and also inactivated
> the firewall, but to no avail.
>
> I really like Fedora and would like to keep using it.
> However, a home LAN and internet connectivity are
> essential for my whole family and I am afraid to I
> have to switch to Ubuntu or SUSE if I can not get the
> networking to work.
>
> Hopefully I have only overlooked something and it is
> fixable.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Enrico

Output of lspci, /etc/modprobe.conf, ifconfig -a and iptables -L -v please.

Anything else would be a complete stab in the dark for us.

Oh, and please leave out the whole "I'm afraid I have to switch" speech,
I've been seeing a lot of it lately and it's getting a bit old. If FC3
is not for you then by all means try something else. Nobody will tie you
down to keep you here.

FC3 is the latest bleeding edge release I know of, and with that, you
WILL get some quirks.

This list was designed to help people with that.

So, let me help you...try the above commands and see if anything weird
pops up.

Regards,
Ed.