modprobe.conf not loading

Bob Chiodini chiodr at kscems.ksc.nasa.gov
Mon Dec 6 18:30:48 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 11:11, Doug Coats wrote:
> I am having a problem with certain modules not loading at boot time and I
> believe it has to do with modprobe.conf not being run or with the
> information just being ignored.
>
> The reason I think this is because if I load the modules manually the work
> but when I reboot the system the settings are lost.  This happens with my
> sound card (Auto detect finds it plays music and will work until reboot) and
> my ivtv modules (they load from the command prompt but disappear with a
> reboot). The only connection I can make between the two is that they are
> loaded in modprobe.conf.
>
> I have searched the internet and have not seen this same problem reported in
> this way.  This has happened to me with FC1, FC2, and now FC3.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I am trying to develop a MythTV
> system but obviously need these to load when I boot the machine.
>
> Here is my modprobe.conf file:
>
> alias eth0 8139too
> alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 &&
> /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> remove snd-emu10k1 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
> /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1
> alias usb-controller uhci-hcd
>
> # ivtv modules setup
> alias char-major-81 videodev
> alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
> install ivtv /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ivtv; /sbin/modprobe ivtv-fb
>
> I added the ivtv info the soundcard info must have been placed there during
> "first boot."
>
> Thanks for you suggestions.
>
> Doug

Doug,

Modules aren't automatically loaded because they appear in
modprobe.conf.  They get loaded when the device file associated with the
module gets accessed.  To confirm things, is your ethernet interface
working properly after rebooting?  If so, then modprobe.conf is correct
for that alias.

As for the sound card entry:  Yours looks like mine and it seems to work
correctly.  After a reboot, but before loading anything by hand, can you
access the mixer via the desktop icon?  If so then check the output of
lsmod.  Your sound modules should be loaded.  If not check
/var/log/messages or dmesg for errors.

As to the char-major-81 entries:  Where did they come from?  Did kudzu
detect the device at boot up and configure it for you or were these
added manually?  What kind of capture card do you have?

Bob...