FC3 upgrade moves your named.conf file - was Re: Can't ping by hostname from clients - was Which distro to switch an FC3 samba server to?

A. Rick Anderson arick at pobox.com
Tue Dec 7 15:14:38 UTC 2004

At the end of the day, it was the FC3 upgrade tool that hosed me over.
According to the docs, up2date isn't supposed to replace user modified
configuration files.  Unfortunately, the FC3 upgrade replaces your
named.conf file with one that points at an IPv6 compatible set of files,
rather then the domain that you may have spent days configuring (hey,
even when you RTFM, it takes time to figure it all out).

Fortunately, it moved my original file, rather then replacing it
(whew!).  Switched the named.conf files around and everything was up and
running in a jiffy.

Many thanks to Qian and others who contributed thoughts on resolving this!

For wrap-up, should I submit this as a bug against FC3, or is the
upgrade working as designed?
--

A. Rick Anderson