etiquette question (Digests, Evolution, Thunderbird)

Mark Eggers mdeggers at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 7 19:41:20 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 10:11 -0800, Mark Eggers wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 01:31 +0100, Colin Brace wrote:
> > MJang wrote:
> >
> > > However, I'm on digest, and am not sure how to do this properly, when
> > > answering a question. I'm guessing a reply direct to the digest won't
> > > maintain the thread.

OK, I just tried MIME digests on Thunderbird 1.0 and Fedora Core 3 using
KDE.

Short review - it's pretty ugly.

There is a lot of screen flicker as you move your mouse over various
mail addresses.  Showing attachments inline results in the same type of
mail message you get from Evolution 2.0 with the added detraction of an
attachment panel at the bottom.  I didn't find a quick way to turn off
the attachment panel or resize it.  On the plus side, you got the mail
message titles rather than the uninformative 'attachment' message.

If you don't show the attachments inline, then you get a cleaner initial
display (list of mail articles at the top and generic list of
attachments in the attachment panel).  However, opening an attachment
will open a new window (with the attachment list at the bottom).  Also,
you have to count attachment messages and compare that with the list of
topics in the digest.

All and all, neither Thunderbird nor Evolution handle MIME digests well.

Importing from Evolution 2 to Thunderbird is also a pain.  You have to
save your folders as mboxes, then copy the resulting file to your Local
Folders area in Thunderbird.  I don't know how to do nested folders yet,
and I'm not going to mess with it until Thunderbird cleans up their
digest handling.

Feedback on that is probably best left to the Thunderbird forums, since
this really has nothing to do with Fedora.

-----
/mde/
just my two cents . . . .