public blacklists

David Mackintosh David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com
Wed Dec 8 17:09:46 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 11:56:25AM -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:

> Greylisting does not even incur the network overhead of using rbls, it
> issues a temporary reject on the message.  A real MTA will retry after a
> few minutes (sometimes longer) but the spam zombies won't retry.  As a
> result most spam gets dropped before you even receive the message.

Greylisting is good, as long as you control all your MX systems.
Most of our small clients use an ISP for a secondary MX, and our
experience shows that the majority of spam is aimed at that MX.
Greylisting won't help you there, as the secondary MX will obediently
retry after your timeout.

--
 /\oo/\
/ /()\ \ David Mackintosh | Public Key: