public blacklists

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Wed Dec 8 18:01:57 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 17:07, Scot L. Harris wrote:

> I don't think you can use those rbls with fetchmail.  The message has
> already been delivered to your mailbox.

Yes, you are right.

> All the cases I know an rbl is
> used on the receiving MTA which is your ISPs server.  I believe
> fetchmail is simply accessing your pop3 account on that server and
> transferring the messages to your local system.  It is not acting as an
> MTA so you don't have the opportunity to reject the message.

Yep, yep and yep.

> What you could do is implement spamassassin, the new version 3.0 has
> SURBL support which I have heard is very very good.  But you will still
> be processing each message.

Well I am running Spamassassin anyway, although I haven't upgraded to
FC3 (and hence Spamassassin 3.0) yet (still waiting for Fedora Extras).
I am looking forward to upgrading to Spamassassin 3.0 as quite a few
spam messages are getting through now, even with Bayesian filtering.
Blacklists were appealing because I was hoping I could get Postfix to
reject some messages before they even got to Spamassassin, but as my
Postfix isn't really working like a proper mail server and just does
local delivery and relaying to my ISP's SMTP server I guess there isn't
much more I can do.

Thanks.

Best, Darren