Fedora Update RPMs

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 8 23:43:14 UTC 2004

Rich Burroughs wrote (about downloading updates from a Fedora mirror):
> I'm not sure why you're doing it manually, in any case. There are much
> easier ways, like yum or up2date.

Neither of them work well over sneakernet.

With the amount of updates we've been getting, it's practically
impossible to keep up to date over dial-up, especially metered dial-up.
One way around this is to download to CD at somewhere which does have
the bandwidth, and then update from that. I used to do that regularly
until I got broadband at home (and I kept a good firewall, of course).

Incidentally, my yum cache directory currently holds over 1 GB of
updates!

Often (especially if there have beeen multiple updates to Open Office)
the updates directory will exceed the size of a CD, so you really will
want to keep out RPMs that you know you won't need to use (like older
Open Office updates...)

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | When the revolution comes, we'll need a longer wall.
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |     -- Tom De Mulder