Nautilus in Browser mode by default?

Jim lawrence.jim at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 03:32:28 UTC 2004

selct your start button (bottom left corner)
goto -->System Tools --> Configuration Editor

select apps--> Nautilus-->Preferences

look for the key named "always_use_browser"
select the box next to always_use_browser to enable it.
read the message in the dialog box below after you enable it

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 21:23:17 -0600, Eric Scott
<scottclansman at cwazy.co.uk> wrote:
> Yo;  I just installed Fedora 2 a couple weeks ago (Former
> Mandrake/SuSE/Debian tinkerer... fairly new to Linux in general), and
> have been trying to give the default Windows95/Old Mac OS spread-out
> method of Nautilus's windows a chance... and am about to blow over the
> top.  I find myself running "nautilus --browser"more and more often...
>
> *How do I get Nautilus to run in browser mode by default, like it used
> to?* (The last version of RedHat I used was 8.0... and it was fine in
> this respect.)  Do people really like the spread-out method that much?
> Or did RedHat make an executive decision... isn't this a community
> project?  Bla.  Just in case you hadn't got it, the Explorer-98 style
> (Side pane, address bar, navigation buttons) was an ADVANCEMENT over the
> Explorer-95 style, IMHO (Yes yes, I'm assuming that Microsoft was the
> first to make file managers act like web browsers, but I could be wrong,
> after all, have they ever inovated before?).
>
> Thanx,
>     ES
>
> --

james lawrence