Fedora Updates: whole packages vs patches

Jorge Fábregas fabregasj at prtc.net
Fri Dec 10 01:35:21 UTC 2004

On Thursday 09 December 2004 6:10 pm, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Jumping in the discussion late.  What OP suggested is basically the way
> patches were handled in Solaris.  With exception that they are not named
> foo-patch1, but rater 232187-06 and you are left to guess which
> package(s) that patch will patch ;-)

HP-UX also uses this mechanism with their Software-Depot system (SD-UX) and it
also has the weird naming conventions for patches. Also, a patch may
supersede another one and so on...

I really wanted to find out if there was another good reason (besides
simplicity) on having our current system. So far I think we can say these
are the pros  & cons.

Whole-packages update system
Pros:
- simplicity