saving RAM questions

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 15:29:16 UTC 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 23:48:46 +0000, James Wilkinson
<james at westexe.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Anything like these?
> http://h18002.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10832_div/10832_div.HTML

That's it!

> As that page suggests that you've got an onboard cache (although it
> doesn't sound enough to support the resolution you're talking about).

Most of these computers will be running at 1024x768, or about half the
pixels of a 1400x1050 display.

> What does the first line of /proc/meminfo say? That will tell you by how
> much memory Linux sees. If it's just over about 130000 on a 128 MB
> system, then your graphics memory is separate to your main memory.

I have 256Mb and the first line there says 255212Kb. In any case, I
have the newest BIOS, so I can't change anything here, sadly. Good
idea though.

All told this has been a success. This computer is easily quick enough
to use. Starting new programs is slow, but that's mostly true even
with more RAM.