Installed on SATA, SW RAID, LVM, but won't boot

Frank FIR at Frank.net
Sat Dec 11 23:54:14 UTC 2004

After trying everything I could think of the get my Adaptec 2410SA
controllers to work with FC3, (like they used to!) I gave up and tried
another approach.  Both motherboards described below have four SATA
ports on the board.  I pulled the adaptec cards out, enabled the SATA
controllers (but not the BIOS RAID mode) on the boards, and plugged in
the drives.  I don't expect Linux SW raid to give me the same striping
performance that the 2410SA w/RAID 10 would, but at this poiunt I jsut
want SOMETHING to work.

In both cases, all four drives were recognized.  I created a mirrored
boot, and LVM partition on the first two drives, as well as a
non-mirrored SWAP partition on each.  The third and fourth drives went
to a single LVM partition.

In the LVM I created a fair sized / filesystem and a couple other larger
ones.  The installation proceeded smoothly on both systems

But neither one will boot.  I can see everything if I boot of the
install DVD, but if I try to boot from the  hard drive I get a blank
screen with a flashing cursor, and that's all.

I've been working pretty much continuously on this for a day and a half
now with no joy.  I had some time this weekend to get these systems
configured (a rare luxury) and so far I can't even get the initial
installation done.

Can anyone help?

Frank.