How to use yum in fc3 to install downloaded update packages ?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 03:30:14 UTC 2004

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 19:14:00 -0800, Barry Yu
<barryyupuilee at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> This way has been working fine until  I installed the fc3. I used the
> same way above to install the downloaded rpm packages ,  step 1, 2 seems
> working o.k.( At least I didn't get any error message), but in step 3
> when  I enter the yum  -c  /etc/yum-local.conf   -y  update, the
> following displayed;
>     *               *
> THIS PROGRAM IS DEPRECATED!
> yum should be generating xml metadata instead. Please see
> http://linux.duke.edu/metadata

A couple of things.... if you want to generate the metadata for a
local repository with yum 2.1.x you what you want to use now is a
program called createrepo
there is a package by the same name in the fc3 distro.

example   i have a repository located at ~/public_html/repo
I run createrepo -~/public_html/repo
and a subdirectory named repodata is created under ~/public_html/repo
I can now point yum to file://home/username/public_html/repo

createrepo --help  for more options

Second thing, you might want to consider creating a seperate file for
your local repo in the directory /etc/yum.repos.d/  instead of adding
it to your /etc/yum.conf.  Yum now understands how to read in files
from the /etc/yum.repos.d/, this way you can leave the main yum.conf
alone so it can be updated accordingly with system updates.

Oh and another thing, yum has the ability now to do installs of rpms
that are not in a repository. So if you have a single rpm you want to
install on disk locally you can do this.
yum install /path/to/localtion/of/whatever-it-is.something.rpm   and
yum will try to install the rpm and pull in dependancies from the
configured repositories if needed.

-jef