editing fstab file ??

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sun Dec 12 18:16:01 UTC 2004

Am So, den 12.12.2004 schrieb Jim um 19:09:

> i tried to mount the hard drive and i get this message
> [jim at My_World ~]$ mount /dev/hdb1
> mount: can't find /dev/hdb1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
> [jim at My_World ~]$

If there is no corresponding fstab entry then the mount command must be
complete. As the manpage says:

       The standard form of the mount command, is
              mount -t type device dir

> i opened the fstab file using
> [jim at My_World ~]$ vi fstab
>
> the file is empty

1) You have not enough permissions to edit the fstab as you are not root
or using sudo
2) You are not in the /etc directory nor giving the complete path to the
file.

> the man pages are making me more confused
> or should i be opening ther fstab file under root ?

Yes, you must have root permissions to edit the /etc/fstab.

> James Lawrence

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 19:12:52 up 2 days, 13:53, load average: 0.69, 0.51, 0.51