SQUID question

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 14 00:58:32 UTC 2004

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 03:36:08PM -0000, Srinivasan S wrote:

>    Till  recently  I  was  using  a  windoz  box and proxy via that.  For
>    downloading  my mails via pop, I used to use TCP Mapped Links (for eg.
>    192.168.1.1:896 mapped to pop.gmail.com:895)
>    Qn)  How do I setup such mappings in SQUID ?
>    Qn)  Else How do I download emails from POP servers via SQUID proxy ?
>    Thanks in advance

Hmmm.... Squid is for  FTP,  gopher,  and  HTTP  data  objects.
POP is not in the list.

It sounds like you want  192.168.1.1 to be running SOCKS  for you.

Gmail is on port 995 not 895 I think. Perhaps that is it.

Is the squid server on a firewall that should also be running a SOCKS
Proxy Server or NAT service for you?  Use a search engine like Google
and look for SOCKS PROXY NAT and Linux ...

If you are using fetchmail this can work
well enough to get you started.  Set the Gmail
config bits to keep mail on gmail so you do not
toss messages in the bucket.

Save as .fetchmailrc-google and run with:

     fetchmail -v -f .fetchmailrc-google

after your put your account names and secret words in place.
Permissions should be "chmod 600 .fetchmailrc-google"

--- snip ---
    # log file.. comment out if running from command line "fetchmail -v"
    ##set logfile "/tmp/fetch-log"

    set postmaster "MyPostmasterAccount"
    set nobouncemail
    set no spambounce