Fedora Core 3 - YUM .rpmnew repo files

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Dec 14 21:33:46 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 14.12.2004 schrieb Ted Bolver um 22:18:

> What it is, is that I've been using FC3 Test 3 and
> have just updated that over the weeks - as an example:

"Small" detail you missed in your first mail.

> This is my fedora.repo file: (includes a reference to
> a local list file which I'm currently using fine)
>
> [base]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
> #baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/
> #mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-$releasever
> mirrorlist=file:///etc/yum.repos.d/local-base
> enabled=1
> gpgcheck=0

From that we can't say which repositories you really use as you use your
own mirrorlist file. So your main question can't be answered with
certainty. "local-base" might contain the proper entries or it might
not.
Why is gpgcheck disabled?

> This is the fedora.repo.rpmnew file that was
> automatically installed in the last update:
>
> [base]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
> #baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/
> mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-$releasever
> enabled=1
> gpgcheck=1
>
> Now - I must stress that I can update ok with the
> first file and everything's ok - my query was, just
> why was this .rpmnew file installed during my last
> update.

You certainly updated to fedora-release-3-8.i386.rpm and that found an
existing and customized fedora.repo file. The RPM is configured to not
blindly exchange such existing, non default files but to create the
config file which comes with the RPM with the .rpmnew suffix. This is a
behaviour for most packages coming with configuration files. It prevents
that customisation gets lost during an update.

> Ted

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 22:26:53 up 4 days, 17:07, load average: 0.98, 1.07, 0.99