Fedora Core 3 - YUM .rpmnew repo files

Ted Bolver kellen3t3 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 14 22:22:55 UTC 2004

--- Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> wrote:

> Am Di, den 14.12.2004 schrieb Ted Bolver um 22:18:
>
> > What it is, is that I've been using FC3 Test 3 and
> > have just updated that over the weeks - as an
> example:
>
> "Small" detail you missed in your first mail.

Thanks Alex - yes, should have mentioned I've been
moving from FC Test 3 to FC3 - has definately caused
me a little confusion on the way.

#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/

#mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-$releasever
> > mirrorlist=file:///etc/yum.repos.d/local-base
> > enabled=1
> > gpgcheck=0
>
> From that we can't say which repositories you really
> use as you use your
> own mirrorlist file. So your main question can't be
> answered with
> certainty. "local-base" might contain the proper
> entries or it might
> not.
> Why is gpgcheck disabled?

I've enabled it now in both fedora.repo &
fedora-updates.repo - for interest here's my current
local-base:

http://limestone.uoregon.edu/ftp/fedora/3/$ARCH/os/
http://mirror.stanford.edu/fedora/linux/core/3/$ARCH/os/

> You certainly updated to fedora-release-3-8.i386.rpm
> and that found an
> existing and customized fedora.repo file. The RPM is
> configured to not
> blindly exchange such existing, non default files
> but to create the
> config file which comes with the RPM with the
> .rpmnew suffix. This is a
> behaviour for most packages coming with
> configuration files. It prevents
> that customisation gets lost during an update.
>
> > Ted
>
> Alexander

Thanks for that Alex - so basically, do you think that
my mirrors etc now look ok - so I probably don't need
to use the .rpmnew files etc now.

Thanks,

Ted