hostid gives identical values on all FC machines

Ulrich Drepper drepper at redhat.com
Tue Dec 14 22:54:12 UTC 2004

Andrew Mather wrote:

> This morning, someone went to get the hostids and found both machines
> return identical values (7f0100).  I also tried on an FC3 machine
> running on an i686 box and got the same return.

The ID you get is the result of

a) your system(s) not having a file /etc/hostid with a 4-byte value
containing the host ID

and

b) the network setup being configured so that looking up the IP address
for the machine returns 127.0.0.1 on both machines.

The later I consider a bug in your installation.  See what gethostname()
reports and what the IP address associated with this name is.  Maybe
your systems are all called localhost?  That'd be wrong, too.

Anyway, there is no good solution for all this other than creating
/etc/hostid files.  The old machines where this interface originates
from had magic serial number or so.  Commodity hardware doesn't have
this (no, CPU serial numbers don't count).