Replace kernel with newer rpm on install?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Dec 15 14:48:33 UTC 2004

J. Epperson wrote:
> Yep, that would be the "A" path, but as you say there's insufficient doc
> to create FC3 driver disk.  I cancelled even trying after reading a bug
> post from someone who had worked through all the RH driver disc doc but
> could not create an FC3 driver disk.  There are posts that the rawhide
> kernel update rpm takes care of it, but no posts on how to apply it.

I made a driver disk for the advansys SCSI driver so that I could install FC3
on my advansys-based server at home. You could use that as a guide if you
wanted to build a driver disk yourself.

It's at:
http://www.city-fan.org/ftp/contrib/drivers/advansys/advansys-driverdisk.zip

(just unzip contents onto a DOS floppy)

You need to build the modules for the 2.6.9-1.667 kernel: i586 architecture
for the FC3 installer plus at least whatever architecture your target machine
is. You must use gcc 3.4. You can probably find the module dependency
information and pcitable entries to use fairly easily.

Paul.