NEC Chipset cardbus USB2 card not working in high speed mode - any hints?

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 15 15:28:21 UTC 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:14:00 +0000
James Wilkinson <james at westexe.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Can I just note that when USB 1 was brought in, "full speed" was defined
> to be 12 Mbit/s (which was full speed for those devices). The 480 Mbit/s
> that USB 2 can provide was, years after USB1 was specified, called "high
> speed" (or "hi speed").

I meant to type "high speed" the second time, like I did in the previous
sentence. :)  Anyway, I am trying to use some high speed devices (a
CDRW/DVD drive, specifically) which work at high speed in Fedora Core 1.

- With Fedora Core 1 on the same hardware, I can burn at speeds from 8X
to about 32X.  (Same USB2 adapter card, too.)

- With Fedora Core 3, I make coasters, since the minimum speed of the
drive seems to be 8X.

I plan to bugzilla this once I have time to sit down and capture
some better information, but I was trying to see if anyone else
has had trouble with high speed USB under Fedora Core 3.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!