Java and/or Jpackage on AMD64-FC3

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 19:21:49 UTC 2004

I followed the article from the following link

  http://mpeters.us/linux/j2sdk.php

and successfully got Java working on a 32-bit FC3 machine.

The success inspired me to try to get Java working on an AMD64-FC3
machine.  So I went back to the above article, this time starting
with the "1.5.0 version of the J2SDK", as the article advises.

I downloaded jdk-1_5_0-linux-amd64-rpm.bin and
jre-1_5_0-linux-amd64-rpm.bin.  Also retrieved
jpackage.asc and jpackage.repo, installed both.
After using yum to install jpackage-utils, I got
confused.  The article continues, saying to get
Sun's j2sdk-1_4_2_06-linux-i586-rpm.bin,
but the top of the article says to use 1.5.0.

So, I looked around Sun's website and found a
path to 1.5.0 and downloaded jdk-1_5_0-linux-amd64-rpm.bin.
Anticipating success at the end of all these steps, I next
used yum to install jedit, leaving as the last step,

yum install java-1.4.2-sun-compat

but this failed with a "missing dep" error, specifically
missing j2sdk.  I can't find a java-1.5.0-sun-compat package.

Did I go wrong when I decided to look around for 1.5.0?

Should I go back, remove 1.5.0, and try to install
j2sdk-1_4_2_06-linux-i586-rpm.bin ?

If you have had some success on an AMD64 FC3 machine
getting Java to work - with Jpackage or in some other way -
please provide some clue as to how you did it.  Or, if you are
feeling exceptionally charitable, you might just post all the steps
you used to get Java working.

Thanks for any help you can give.

--
MM