How do I set up konsole to use ISO-8859-1 and not UTF-8

Kristian André Gallis kagallis at online.no
Thu Dec 16 02:46:49 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Do, den 16.12.2004 schrieb Kristian André Gallis um 2:47:
>

>>I use pine mail reader to read my e-mail messages at the university I
>>attend, from my laptop in my home. I have Fedora 3.
>>
>>I don't care if the rest of my system use UTF-8 character coding, but my
>>university use ISO-8859-1 with the result that the Norwegian special
>>letters displays wrongly, with small error messages everywhere.
>>
>>Is there a solution? Can I make konsole use ISO-8859-1?
>

> If you need ISO locale for pine, then you could create an alias in your
> ~/.bashrc file:
>
> alias isopine='LANG=C pine'
>
> Or instead of LANG=C use your national locale, mine would be de_DE at euro.

Thanks, but the remote pine I run already have ISO-8859-1

> Is "konsole" the KDE terminal? Then it may have an option like the Gnome
> terminal, where I can say from menu bar to change the terminal encoding.

Yes, I forgot to mention that I use KDE. And konsole does not have the
possibility to change encoding from the menu bar.

>>Earlier (when I had Fedora 2) I walked around the problem with just
>>ssh-ing over there and starting an xterm on the remote machine. But
>>after I installed Fedora 3 I get the following error message when trying
>>to run a remote xterm window:
>>
>>xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
>

> ps axuwwww | grep nolisten
>
> This shows X running with "-nolisten tcp"? This is already the default
> setting with FC2. You can change that in the gdm settings.

[root at localhost ~]# ps axuwwww | grep nolisten
root      3066  2.0  8.8 125676 45716 ?      S    02:12   1:51
/usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -audit 0 -auth /var/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt7
root      9643  0.0  0.1  5144  648 pts/2    R+   03:42   0:00 grep nolisten

Which program do I use to change gdm settings?

gdm              gdmflexiserver   gdmphotosetup    gdmXnest
gdm-binary       gdmgreeter       gdmsetup         gdmXnestchooser
gdmchooser       gdmlogin         gdmthemetester

Kr.A.