FC3 Scsi Problem with Tekram dc315U and an Ultraplex cdrom

Christopher Tuot Christopher_Tuot at yahoo.fr
Thu Dec 16 09:55:54 UTC 2004

Hi,
I am trying to get my Ultraplex CDRom to work on FC3. I have got a
Tekram dc315U. Here are the different steps I have done:

1- I downloaded the kernel source RPM
2- I build the kernel tree for i686 (Athlon XP)
3- I used make xconfig to tune the kernel: I selected a i386 cpu and
checked the scsi driver for dc395x/dc315U
4- I have done make modules
5- The dc195x.ko module was generated correctly and I copied it directly
into /lib/modules...
6- rebooted the machine. kudzu detected the device correctly

Now I did not manage to mount my cd-rom.
To mount the cd-rom, I did the following
1- used the ./MEAKEDEV script to create /dev/sda
2- mount /dev/sda /media/plextor/ and I get the following error (the
mount directoy exists)
     mount: /dev/sda is not a valid block device

Remark:
I tried the following command: modprobe dc395x, I get the following error:
FATAL: Error inserting dc395x
(/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/kernel/drivers/scsi/dc395x.ko): Invalid module
format
Bad sign or?

As I am quite new to the linux world, I hope at least what I have
written makes sense. Any help would be really really helpful.
Thanks

Chris