Trying to compile my own kernel - getting kernel panic...

Andrew Konosky TerranAce007 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 17 22:50:25 UTC 2004

Michael A. Peters wrote:

> On 12/16/2004 08:32:59 PM, Andrew Konosky wrote:
>
>> I seem to already have mkinitrd installed, but it wasn't registering
>> with su. I did su - and then it worked, so I guess I just forgot the
>> - the first time.
>

> su does not set the PATH to root's path, so anything in /sbin or /usr/
> sbin or /usr/local/sbin will not be in your path and thus need to be
> called explicitly full path.
>
> su -
>
> resets the PATH to (in this case) root's path, as well as changing
> your  cwd to root's home.

Okay, I never knew the reason why, just that su - let me do things that
su didn't. Is there an option to reset the PATH without changing the
current working dir? It is annoying when I am compiling code and get
kicked out of my source folder by the su - command...

Also, I have gotten the kernel and initrd setup and my 2.6.9 custom
kernel boots up now with only one error message. I recompiled a few
times and changed some things from built-in to modules and vice-versa,
and most of the errors went away.

The error was about the package nfs4 idmapd or something, but the custom
kernel boots A LOT faster than the standard binaries. Where can I view
the logfile for the bootup to see more info?