Upgrade from FC-1 to FC-2: Cyrus POP3/IMAP won't authenticate

Mike Watson mikew at crucis.net
Sat Dec 18 03:22:50 UTC 2004

I finally upgraded my mail server that had been running FC1.  I use sendmail
and other remote users used POP3 to fetch their mail.  IMAP was also used by
SquirrelMail for some web users.  All worked well.

After the upgrade, the old POP and IMAP progs were gone and Cyrus was
installed.  Now when a user attempts to pull mail using IMAP or POP, they get
authenticate errors.

I ran IMTEST and this was the result.

/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/imtest -m login -a user localhost
S: * OK localhost.localdomain Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.10-Invoca-RPM-2.2.10-3.fc2
server ready
C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE
UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY SORT
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE STARTTLS LISTEXT
LIST-SUBSCRIBED X-NETSCAPE
S: C01 OK Completed
Please enter your password:
C: L01 LOGIN user {7}
S: + go ahead
C: <omitted>
S: L01 NO Login failed: generic failure
Authentication failed. generic failure
Security strength factor: 0

I get similar results with pop3test.

Here is imapd.conf

configdirectory: /var/lib/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/imap
admins: cyrus root
sievedir: /var/lib/imap/sieve
sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
hashimapspool: true
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
tls_cert_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/cyrus-imapd.pem
tls_key_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/cyrus-imapd.pem
tls_ca_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt

Straight out of the RPM.  The old IMAP and POP3 progs worked right out of the
box.  I've been running through the archives, google, the "HOW-TO" and
nothing I've found fixes this problem. I've check DB4 and that appears OK
too.

Pointer or tips anyone?

Mike W

dangerous content by F-Prot and MailScanner,
and is believed to be clean.