Triggering the website to send Spam

Gustavo Seabra seabra at ksu.edu
Sat Dec 18 16:22:56 UTC 2004

Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:

>For goodness sake do not open HTML rich spam.  They hide a little
>image that you cannot see.  That hidden URL validates your address
>and that you 'looked'.

That's interesting... I've never heard about it before. Where can we learn more about this?

>YOU WILL DOUBLE or TRIPPLE your incoming spam if you look even !ONCE!,
>at this type of html junk mail.  Use a text only view of mail for all
>messages.  Use your HTML tools for messages from trusted senders.

Does just disabling images in email work to stop this?

>I have noted that some of the posters here (unknowingly I believe)
>post from accounts that tag a hidden tracking image/URL in all mail.
>It is hidden in the signature of all their Multi-part MIME messages,
>even when they send text in the body.

Is there any way to see this in thunderbird, for example? Or is it
something you can only notice with a text-only program?

Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student
Chemistry Department
Kansas State University