[FC3] No mp3 activity at any cost

Kenny Gow kgfedora at swbell.net
Sat Dec 18 17:02:59 UTC 2004

Brian Fahrlander wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 10:39 -0600, Kenny Gow wrote:
>

>>Here are all the gstreamer packages I have installed on FC3:
>>
>>rpm -qa | grep gstreamer
>>
>>gstreamer-plugins-extra-dvd-0.8.6-0.1.fc3.fr
>>gstreamer-plugins-0.8.5-1
>>gstreamer-plugins-extra-video-0.8.6-0.1.fc3.fr
>>gstreamer-0.8.7-4.FC3.0
>>gstreamer-plugins-extra-audio-0.8.6-0.1.fc3.fr
>>
>>the last one, gstreamer-plugins-extra-audio, is the one that
>>gives me mp3 playback. I got it via yum from freshrpms.net.
>

>     Ah; ok.  I yanked it all, loaded from base+freshrpms and it can read
> an mp3 _file_ just fine.  (Ten more files added to the library...)
>
>     Now, I'm having trouble using it to decode streams from online
> services like shoutcast and WLSAM.com.  Something about "decoder or
> demux not found".
>
>     The URL's I'm trying are:
>
> http://abcrad.sc.llnwd.net:12015/listen.pls
>
> http://shoutcast.com/sbin/shoutcast-playlist.pls?rn=6929&file=filename.pls
>
>     Or maybe this is some kinda whacked-out RB problem?
>
>     Is anyone able to use RB ("Music Player") to hear these under FC3?

Hi Brian,

First, let me say that I really want to like Rhythmbox music
player, but it often doesn't work right. Seems every other
update seems to work, sort of. The version I have right now
can't scan my music folders properly, hanging after
getting about 50% of the files loaded.....

BUT, the version of rhythmbox I have is:

$ rpm -q rhythmbox
rhythmbox-0.8.8-1

and, whaddya know, those two Shoutcast links you posted
above play just fine in rhythmbox. And other Shoutcast links
seem to play just fine.

Perhaps you need to upgrade rhythmbox?

Good luck,
Kenny