How should the clipboard work? (or: why doesn't it work?)

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Dec 18 20:28:38 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 12:00 -0800, Brian Mury wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-18-12 at 13:11 +0100, nodata wrote:
> > 1. Load gedit, type some text.
> > 2. Copy or cut the text to the clipboard and close gedit.
> >
> > Question: From the desktop users point of view, should the text still be
> > available?
>
> I think so, and I find it really annoying that it isn't.

I wouldn't think so.  Unlike winblows, each application is running in
its own space. When you close the app the allocated resources are also
closed (this includes your clipboard).

What I do if it is critical that the clipboard contents remain available
is open a temporary editor and paste the contents before I close the
other application. (or more often just minimize the app where I am using
the clipboard).

A work-around I know, but it is a simple way to handle a design
condition that is inherent in all 'nix based systems.