GPS Ghostscript 8.15

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Sat Dec 18 21:33:34 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 11:38 +0000, Tim Waugh wrote:
> I think it fits the remit of fedora-devel-list better: package
> upgrades and related issues in the core package set certainly come
> under development to my mind.  The list is open to any interested
> parties to subscribe to, or to read the archives.
>
> I'm sure those on fedora-devel-list but not fedora-list wouldn't want
> to miss out on any insights shared in this forum.  Let's keep the
> discussion in one place.

I write:

(1) There seems to be a problem with either ghostscript or with its
fonts.  Courier fonts are displayed (both in gv and while printing) as
MUCH TOO BIG.  When printing, they overwrite other text making the
output very hard to read.  There's been a lot of posting at various
places on the web about problems with courier vs. FC3, but no solutions.

(2) Does anyone have either rpms of ghostscript-8.15, preferable for AMD
86-64 processors and a recent ghostscript font distribution (6.00 or
above), or know a way to get ghostscript to handle courier fonts
properly.

(3) I just searched fedora-devel-list for anything about ghostscript.
Nothing except whether Fedora could legally include ghostscript-8.50,
which is under the AFPL license (similar to GPL, but not the same).

(4) I can see why there is resistance to porting ghostscript-8.15 to
FC3.  I've compiled ghostscript a couple of times; each time it took me
a couple of days to remember everything that needed to be done and to do
it all.  This doesn't include including all the patches...  So I'd
rather have someone else do it.

Thanks:
--
Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh at pacbell.net>