DHCP configuration

Andrew Choens andy.choens at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 22:30:55 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 16:33 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> I am still very new to Linux. I am trying to configure a machine
> to act as my firewall on my broadband connection, which is
> working, and to serve as DHCP server to my LAN. I've been looking
> for two hours for simple explanations, but, most of what I'm
> finding is very old, and contradictory. Can someone point me to a
> resource? Also, I seem to see references to a graphical DHCP
> administrative tool for KDE but I can't find this - is this
> installed with FC3, or is it something that I have to add?
>
> Claude Jones
> Bluemont, VA, USA
> Running FC3 with all the latest upgrades - SELinux active

Although I'm all about using Fedora wherever it fits, is there a reason
you want to use a computer for your DHCP server?  I have a linksys
router with 5 - 12 computers (obviously a lot of laptops) in and out.
It's a wireless router with a switch plugged into it.  It handles my
DHCP needs for both the wired and unwired world.

Just my two cents.  And, if I recall, Linksys uses linux in it's
firmware.  It's certainly not Fedora, but it's still got a cute little
penguin in there somewhere.

--andy